Samstag, 8. Oktober 2011

EN - Cisco 887w default open ports! WTF!

The last two nights I was playing with the Hurricane Electric Tunnel setup for one of our routers to get IPv6 to my lab. For some strange reason the tunnel showed that it was up but I was unable to ping the IPv6 IP of Google.com. To track down the issue I used the port scan feature of HE on my public v6 and besides the expected port 22 for tcp the following ports showed up on my 887w: Port tcp 2002, tcp 4002, tcp 6002 and tcp 9002. I tried a telnet and I was really scared when my router replied with a nice telnet prompt.

I goggled for the open ports plus cisco 887w and found the article over at www.dataprotectioncenter.com. It looked like the Line 2 is used to communicate between the router and the wireless controller. This controller was working like a service module in the router. 
The article provided a simple solution that I instantly applied. What was the solution – put an access list on the Line 2 for IPv4 and IPv6. 

I dug a little to the bug database at cisco.com but I couldn´t find anything.

 When I’m back at the office I´ll have a closer look on this particular problem and keep you updated.

Thanks to “Didier Stevens“  for figuring and sharing this issue.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen